As the eagerly awaited live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender approaches its premiere on Netflix, here’s a detailed overview of the current information, covering aspects such as the release date, trailer, cast, plot, and more.
Avatar: The Last Airbender holds a significant place in history as one of the most widely praised and beloved Western animated television series. Its unique anime-inspired art style, lovable ensemble of characters, and adept combination of humor and serious themes have contributed to the show’s enduring legacy. The series not only spawned a sequel, The Legend of Korra, but also a live-action film remake, which, unfortunately, faced harsh criticism.
Now, over fifteen years since its original airing, a new live-action adaptation is in the works, this time under the direction of Netflix. Below is a comprehensive overview of all the available information so far.
Avatar The Last Airbender: Release Date
Avatar: The Last Airbender is slated for its debut on Netflix on February 22, 2024. The release is set to encompass eight episodes, adapting material from the first season of the animated series.
Avatar The Last Airbender Live-Action Cast
Gordon Cormier, renowned for his performance in The Stand, is confirmed to take on the role of Aang, the central character and titular Avatar in the series. This casting choice has received praise for selecting an actor of appropriate age and Asian descent, effectively addressing the criticisms faced by the live-action movie.
Kiawentiio (Beans) and Ian Ousley (13 Reasons Why) are set to portray Katara and Sokka, Aang’s companions and friends on his journey.
Dallas Liu (PEN15) is assigned the role of the series antagonist, Prince Zuko, while Paul Sun-Hyung Lee (Kim’s Convenience) is cast as Zuko’s uncle, General Iroh.
Daniel Dae Kim, recognized for his role in LOST, is set to embody the character of Fire Lord Ozai, the ruler of the Fire Nation and Prince Zuko’s father.
For a glimpse of the characters’ costumes, viewers can refer to Netflix’s recent release showcasing the protagonists. Additionally, Netflix has shared new stills featuring characters from the Fire Nation, including Zuko, Azula, Uncle Iroh, and others. Alongside these primary characters, Netflix has unveiled several recurring actors, featuring prominent names in the cast.
Cast Members List
- Ken Leung (Rush Hour) as Commander Zhao
- Maria Zhang (All I Ever Wanted) as Suki
- Elizabeth Yu (Year One) as Azula
- Lim Kay Siu (Anna and the King) as Gyatso
- Amber Midthunder (Prey) as Princess Yue
- A Martinez (Cowboy Bebop) as Pakku
- Irene Bedard (The Stand) as Tagoda
- Joel Oulette (Trickster) as Hahn
- Yvonne Chapman (Kung Fu) as Avatar Kyoshi
- Nathaniel Arcand (Heartland) as Chief Arnook
- Tamlyn Tomita (Cobra Kai) as Yukari
- Casey Camp-Horinek (Barking Water) as Gran Gran
- Meegwun Fairbrother (Burden of Truth) as Avatar Kuruk
- Arden Cho (Partner Track) as June
- Utkarsh Ambudkar (Ghosts) as King Bumi
- Danny Pudi (Mythic Quest) as the Mechanist
- Lucian-River Chauhan (Encounter) as Teo
- James Sie (Stillwater) as the Cabbage Merchant
- Momona Tamada (Secret Headquarters) as Ty Lee
- Thalia Tran (Raya and the Last Dragon) as Mai
- Ruy Iskandar (Yes Day) as Lt. Jee
- Hiro Kanagawa (Altered Carbon) as Fire Lord Sozin
- C.S. Lee (Dexter) as Avatar Roku
- François Chau (The Expanse) as The Grate Sage
- Ryan Mah (The Good Doctor) as Lt. Dang
- George Takei (Star Trek) as Koh
- Randall Duk Kim (Kung Fu Panda) as Wan Shi Tong
Netflix’s Avatar The Last Airbender Plot
According to the synopsis, the story takes place in a world where four nations once coexisted peacefully under the protection of the Avatar, a master skilled in all four elements, ensuring harmony. However, this tranquility is disrupted when the Fire Nation launches an attack, wiping out the Air Nomads and initiating their quest for world domination. Avatar: The Last Airbender follows the journey of a young Air Nomad named Aang, who awakens to a war-torn world. Teaming up with new allies Sokka and Katara, Aang embarks on an exciting quest to rightfully claim his position as the next Avatar.
In a universe where individuals can manipulate one of the four classical elements—water, earth, fire, or air—the Avatar stands alone with the power to bend all four elements. This unique ability allows the Avatar to maintain balance in the world and nature, fostering peace.
After a prolonged absence, Aang reemerges as the Avatar, discovering a world dominated by the Fire Nation. Guided by his new companions, Katara and Sokka, Aang sets out on a mission to master all four elements, all the while being pursued by the exiled Fire Nation prince, Zuko.
Netflix’s Avatar The Last Airbender Trailers
Suggested Read: New Overlord Movie Confirms 2024 Premiere